Purcell and Elmslie, Architects
Firm active: 1907-1921
Minneapolis, Minnesota :: Chicago, Illinois
The original version of this site launched
March 29, 1995 at archon.lib.umn.edu, a server I administered at the Social
Welfare History Archives as part of an experimental data management project.
The disastrous results of a failed tape backup destroyed over 500 images, which
had to be rescanned from the original periodicals in April, 1997.
The Organica.org domain name was acquired in November, 1998, and the site transferred--along with my personal server--when I left the University of Minnesota.
During my stay at Taliesin West, no fixed IP was available and the site lapsed from May, 1999 until June, 2001. At that time I began the redesign of the site into its current form.
I find it extraordinary that so little has been added to the site in the past eight months, but a review of the Grinds confirms the adversity of that period. However, that factoid does not reflect the database changes and other work done, such as technical infrastructure, so I haven't been totally a sloth.
- 21,569 are internal links
- 1,955 are external links (95 percent of these are to IMAGES, the U of M digital database)
Most Popular File Usage :: 9/20/2005 - 5/16/2006
|Unique Visitors: 4926||organica1.htm (3.31% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 3996||purcellandelmslie.htm (1.74% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 1539||peMN1900_1.htm (1.44% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 1247||pegrindstone3.htm (1.29% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 430||pewgpjobs.htm (0.52% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 398||peggejobs.htm (0.42% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 421||pecomplete.htm (0.40% of site usage|
|Unique Visitors: 331||pestencilcatalog.htm (0.40% of site usage)|
|Unique Visitors: 318||pegrindstone.htm (0.39% of site usage)|
As of 8/20/2005 there were in the P&E site:
- 21,139 are internal links
- 1,879 are external links (95 percent of these are to IMAGES, the U of M digital database)
Most Popular File Usage :: 1/1/2005 - 8/20/2005
The above figures are "clean," meaning that the numbers represent actual user access and exclude the probings of bots, web attackers, etc. I find it extraordinary that the P&E essay outranks the home page for usage by nearly twenty percent!
As of 10/15/2003, there are in the Purcell and Elmslie web site:
- 17,455 are internal links
- 1,764 are external links (95 percent of these are to IMAGES, the U of M digital database)
Total Purcell and Elmslie site: 130 MB storage (those high resolution images add up). Not a bad increase for having taken off six weeks to do a film since the last summary.
As of 7/17/2003, there are in the Purcell and Elmslie web site:
- 16,125 are internal links
- 1,763 are external links
Total Purcell and Elmslie site: 89.5 MB storage
Raw server summary from 1/1/2003 - 7/17/2003
Those numbers need to be discounted about twenty percent for technical reasons. Still, that's a pretty strong interest in an architectural firm whose doors closed eighty years ago. The P&E site is also the top return on Google for "Purcell and Elmslie" now.
Here's the page breakdown.
I find the interest in the Grindstone astonishing, but perhaps it is the only blog on the web about P&E. By comparing the figures below with the new ones, my slow but steady progress becomes evident. I could sit here for a year without distractions and not have everything up and done that wants completion. Ah, for the old days, when there were grants for this sort of thing. What I could get done!
As of 11/7/2002, there are in the Purcell and Elmslie web site:
- 9,526 are internal links
- 1,045 are external links
Total Purcell and Elmslie site: 60 MB storage
6,146 individuals have visited once, with 1,144 repeat patrons. 95 percent are from the United States, but the other 5 percent represent 71 foreign countries, including 5 from Iran and 1 from North Korea. One visitor who kindly corresponds occasionally with me from Wisconsin has spent the most time: 8 hours, 48 minutes, though two others are nipping at his heels: 8 hours, 20 minutes and 8 hours, 3 minutes, respectively. The average visitor, among those 5,002 who ventured here only once, spends 6 minutes. This site ranks number 1 on Google searches for Purcell and Elmslie, is listed 3rd on the Open Directory, and can be accessed from all the major search engines.
is the most popular architectural image (easy to believe).
The P&E Top Ten Commissions as of this date:
Part of that ranking is an artifact due to alphabetic listing, and part to the still uneven development of the presentation across more than 400 commission numbers.
As of 10/27/2002, there are in the Organica site as a whole, including all the Progressives:
The storage size is 179 megabytes.